Tuesday, March 21, 2006

More credit is due Matt Kenseth

Former Cup champion isn't a media darling and doesn't want to be one

ASK THE NASCAR EXPERT

By Benny Parsons
NBC Sports
Updated: 4:26 p.m. ET

March 21, 2006

I agree with those Matt Kenseth fans who say that even when the 2003 Cup champion wins races, he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

These fans maintain that when Kenseth succeeds he doesn't get anywhere near the glowing praise that for instance Tony Stewart, he who shall not be named or Dale Earnhardt Jr. receive for their success.

And they contend that when Kenseth tops the field, the media focuses more on what the other drivers might have encountered -- like engine failures and wrecks -- that crushed their chances at a win, than on how the efforts of Kenseth and his crew led the No. 17 of Roush Racing to Victory Lane.

But some of the fault in Kenseth not getting his just due has to be put on the driver himself. Kenseth's personality is not one like that of Junior's, who has done things like host Saturday Night Live. I don't see Kenseth doing those types of things. I don't think he'd want to do such things or be comfortable doing them.

Junior, Stewart, he who shall not be named and some others are media darlings off the track. Kenseth is not, and doesn't appear to have much interest in concerning himself with how much publicity he receives, or how much others receive. I think he is fine with the way things are with the media.


I believe Kenseth just wants to run races, and win races. On the track, Kenseth is as good a driver as any of Cup racing's biggest stars. Personality-wise he may not have the flash and glitter the media seeks, but he gives nothing away talent-wise with his driving. His Cup championship drove home that point to all who follow stock-car racing's top series.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

Ahhhhh...but you gotta watch those quiet ones.

March 21, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Tiredawg said...

Speak softly and carry a big stick! I think ol Teddy Roosevelt must have showed him a thing or too in history.

March 22, 2006 2:48 AM  
Blogger Clance' McClannahan said...

Matty boy is going to have a good year...I keep tellin ya...it's gonna happen...

March 22, 2006 4:27 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Yes, I won the caption contest. I wrote what came to mind first and that's the first place I looked, too. Who wouldn't?

March 22, 2006 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter