Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Kenseth Diary

Roush Racing Driver Diary: Matt Kenseth
Hey,

This past Sunday I got to do something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. You see, a lot of high-ranking military personnel come to NASCAR races and some times when talking with them they’ll suggest that you come to the base and drive a tank, or come fly an airplane or something, and usually I’m too busy to do any thing like that, so I just thank them for the offer and then say ‘Sorry…’

But, this time, actually about a month ago, General Larsen approached me and asked if I was interested in flying in an F-15. I said, ‘Yes,” and he said, ‘OK, it’s set then.’ At first I didn’t know what I’d gotten myself into, but they said they could set it up where I could fly in an F-15 with the guys that would perform the flyover at the All-Star race, and that we could do it the following Sunday (this past Sunday) in Charlotte. So, it became doable and I started to get excited.

They came to the track on Saturday to brief me about the flight, fit me for the flight suit, and to give me a brief physical. Then on Sunday morning I went to Wilson Air Center, which is right beside the Charlotte airport and went along for the ride.

Needless to say, I had a blast! After doing that, I seriously think that if I was about 14 years younger I would quit stockcar racing and go train to be a fighter pilot. Those things are unbelievable. I mean, I thought I would have fun, but I never believed how much fun those things were to fly in. We pulled about eight and a half G’s (G-Force) one time and everything started to fade out. It was awesome! Those jets are so powerful and they seem to turn on a dime. Plus, with the glass canopy, you can’t beat the view.

It really was a lot of fun and I feel fortunate to have had that opportunity. I have to thank all of the crew on the 58th Fighter Squadron from the 33d Fighter Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. They made it an experience I’ll never forget and something I hope I have the chance to do again real soon.

~Matt

2 Comments:

Blogger RevJim said...

Cool. I was in the Air Force and I never got to fly in a jet fighter. Babs, thanks for pointing out the VRAB problem to me. I think I got it fixed

May 24, 2006 4:03 PM  
Blogger susan said...

Sounds like Matt had a good time!!! Don't expect qualifing to get started on time...it's hot and sticky here and that usually means thunderstorms!!!

May 25, 2006 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter