Monday, July 24, 2006

Post race Pocono

I went back and watched the race. Nearly fell asleep during part of it. Tony did make the race more "lively." I think the Tony penalty was part of the "new, tougher NASCAR" that Helton has been preaching about. Like the Chad Chaffin thing. And they made Tony race to get the lap back. Unlike Carl at Daytona earlier this year where he was penalized a lap for rough driving and got it back the next caution with the lucky dog. I must admit, I liked hearing Carl show some emotion other than the happy go lucky boy next door thing he has going most of the time. Threatening on his radio to kick Smoke's ass after the race. Tony's day after apology seemed forced, written by a PR person, I suspect.

My brother and I sat in silence for a minute this weekend when my step-sister said she had heard that Tony was becoming more liked by fans. How do you explain it to someone that doesn't keep up with NASCAR? Her ex was into NASCAR and she watched it for a few years with him, but not anymore. She's all about college football. Most people either love Tony or hate him. I like Tony. Sometimes his own anger can be his worst enemy, but if I wanted to see robots racing, I wouldn't watch NASCAR.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

I wrote about Tony today also. He is a shot in the arm at times and livens up the sport. We need more of his kind.

July 24, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Tiredawg said...

Tony is very good for the sport. Sometimes HIS emotions run a little to high and faster than the car he is driving. IMO,I thinks maybe he should practice a little more of what he is preaching. Gotta luvs the Stewie, but admit your mistakes and not try to blame them on "younger" drivers.

July 25, 2006 3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pocono is boring... That's why I didn't watch it... But now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not watching it because of the Stewart/Edwards/Bowyer situation.

So Tony took a borrrrrrrrrrrrring race and turned it into something fun. I say GO TONY!!! :)

July 25, 2006 6:19 AM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Tony definitely adds Spice to NASCAR. I get tired of drivers who have personalities of a rock. UGH! Tony does let his anger get the better of him sometimes, but it makes for interesting topics of conversation.

July 25, 2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger susan said...

Tony and the situation started me cussing!!! and made the race more interesting...two weeks in a row Tony is in a caution.

July 25, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger 4ever3 said...

What about Edwards spinning out Tony on Pit Road of all places? There is a time and place for payback, but never on Pit Road, one of the crew members who were over the wal already could have been seriously hurt if Tony would have over-reacted while he was spinning. I don't disagree with Edwards wanting to get Tony back, but he should have done it on the track, not on Pit Road!

July 25, 2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger Oscar T. Grouch said...

Tony is more popular. Try to find his stuff to buy anywhere near here and it is sold out. Lots of Jeff Gordon and the two Dale Earnhardts though. But Tony is sold out. Sad sad sad.

July 25, 2006 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter